Friday, May 20, 2011
Made homemade laundry detergent
I made 6 gallons of laundry detergent today. That is enough for 192 loads of laundry at 1/2 cup per load. The total cost for me was $8.18 out of pocket. I already had some ingredients on hand. (.o4 cents a load)
Here is the recipe:
1 fels -naptha laundry bar, grated
1 1/2 cups borax
1 1/2 cups arm & hammer washing soda
Put fels-naptha in a stainless steel pot and add a gallon of water, heat and wait for the grates to completely melt. Add borax and soda and wait for everything to dissolve. Remove from heat. Put a gallon of hot water in a 6 gallon bucket and add soap mixture. Stir and then add 4 more gallons of water then stir. Let it sit for 24 hours to gel with tight lid. It will look like it has soap clumps in the gel. This is normal (it looks like egg drop soup). After 24 hours, shake the buckets contents to mix it up again. (Ab and arm workout here) Funnel into containers. Makes about 6 gallons. Use 1/2 to 1 cup per load.
I learned this tip at R.S. from my friend Andy. What would we do without the R.S. sisters and their knowledge? I thought it was a great idea and it will help cut costs. I do a load of laundry every day. What will I do with all the savings?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment